Friday, March 16, 2012

My Song

MY SONG

A living melody I am. 
On the staff of life I am
     a rhapsody of euphony.
And my inner melody
     keeps me on my feet
    to tap the beat
         and swirl and dance
to the sweet composition that I am.

The verse I rehearse until I get it right,
     perfecting routines
in the themes of daily life.
I improvise the rest and try my best to
     coordinate clashing chords.
I orchestrate with originality
    for I can only
sing the songs that I compose.

I write my own lyrics
     and keep the tune inside my spirit,
          poetry in harmony
         with the key of my soul.
And my song can be sung high.
And my song can be sung low.

I know the blues but I refuse
     to stay within one style.
Monotone is not my groove so I move
     and sing awhile until a smile
    breaks through
         my repertoire, and a
              symphony of ecstasy
accompanies my one-voice choir.

I sing solo to myself,
     sometimes out loud.
In a crowd I’m the one with a drum
to the side,
passing by,
beating rhythm and momentum
     as I hum along to my song.

And I can’t stop singing
my song, my song.

This poem is also available as an art print.
Click here for more info

(c) by Leslie J. Sherrod
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment